Sunday, January 4, 2009

33 - More Chinglish.

(Click to enlarge the images, people.)

Cuiture?

This small error is like a stake in my heart.

It is made worse because the mistakes are mass-produced.

Lifec ycle of si lk wrom. :D




Not-recyclable. The hyphen is not right.
What is more amusing is the symbol underneath. I did not know there was a symbol for the opposite of recycling.

lol.

Courageous use of the semi-colon.


It's so civilized, indeed.

How do omnivores usually throw away their rubbish?

Alright. I'll climb over the fence.


This made me feel so clever.

10 comments:

cavaan said...

do you know how much i love chinglish? i seriously would go to china just to take photos of bad english, they just make laugh. and laughing is nearly always good.

i don't actually live in hong kong, i'm not even from there =] i just love the districts there and for some reason the name "mong kok" always makes me laugh.

in the story i went to this place up north... wait this is going to get complicated, just wait a sec.

Michael said...

Aimée: I always look forward to that whenever I go up into the mainland.

Hong Kong is really where I belong. I'm not quite sure how I'm ever going to leave it...

Anonymous said...

noo~ unfortunately :( i don't speak canto-- but i've been trying to learn for ages!

(wait.. i can speak a tiny bit; "ngo mm sek gong, but goh sek tang siew siew gong dong wah" lol)

i'm going to hong kong end of 2009! i can't wait :D

taa~

rokes

Douglas said...

About the "omnivorously" sign... Do herbivores not throw anything away? Or do they always miss, unlike the omnivores?

Second question, do translations ever goof the other way? As I recall, the famous quote of JFK at the Berlin Wall actually translated to something that meant "I am a pastry!" because a Berliner was some kind of jelly donut.

jiggins said...

These are great man. I have always heard about the misinterpretation of signs and words in Chinglish as one follower called it. good stuff :)

J.J. in L.A. said...

I love Chinglish! It's always good for a laugh. I wonder if it works the other way around (English to Chinese)?

And those typos were killing me! lol!

Genevieve said...

omg i love the reverse recycling symbol! that is hilarious.

Robot Nine said...

Very good post. You know it's right up my Robot Nine alley! I also love the reverse recycling symbol. I so wanted to take a photo of a sign inside a local dry cleaner that was rife with errors, never got around to it, and now it is gone.
Alan

Linda S. Socha said...

Michael

I have laughed and laughed.I feel I should pay you a fee as a comedian! You are such a performer~! I sincerely hope you are taking some theater courses?
WONDERFUL
LINDA

Michael said...

Rachel May: That's cool. Close to the date, I will recommend a few places to go, if you don't mind.

Douglas: The names for basketball players, Disney characters and hit movies are ridiculous sometimes in Chinese.

Jiggins: Thanks, man.

J.J.: Refer to my comment to Douglas.

Genevieve: I know! I didn't believe it was a real symbol. And it turns out it isn't. How weird are we Chinese?...

Alan: They're rare in your English-speaking country! Take the photo!

Linda: I love drama. I will pursue it in the future as one of my hobbies.