Wednesday, December 31, 2008

28 - Happy New Year!


Happy New Year everybody! It's 2009!
In Hong Kong, we say, "新年快樂!" (Pronounced: sun leen figh lok!)

10 comments:

Randa said...

Happy New Year! May 2009 bring you good fortune and happiness!

I still have another four hours to go.

That picture is absolutely wonderful!

Douglas said...

It's an odd thing. A matter of geography determines when your new year starts but we all relate in real time.

Happy New Year, Michael. May this one bring you much joy and happiness.

Michael said...

Randa: Thanks. Fortune's a good one. I hope it brings me that too. :)

Douglas: Yes. I promised Vulgar Red Pullover that I would countdown with him on the computer when it was time to do so in the UK. I hopelessly failed at doing it and fell asleep at around 8pm his time. :(

Rosalie Bass said...

Michael, did you learn English in school or were you brought up with it around the house? I've been wondering this for a few weeks because you speak it like a first language yet you live in Hong Kong...


Happy new year. Bring it, 2009.

Michael said...

Rosalie: First, my father is Filipino. Second, my mother wanted me to have more opportunities in terms of my studies and future work. So she sent me to an international school where English is used as a first language. Hong Kong has many international schools and most people who attend one can speak English like it's their mother tongue.

What I did learn around the house was actually Chinese. I'm not good enough to write in Chinese, but I'm able to speak, read and listen to it. I am fluent enough to go out and use Chinese to communicate in the shops and restaurants. It would be my second language. I know more Chinese than most people in my international school.

And that's right. Bring it!

Hippie said...

Wow, that photo is gorgeous.
I have two hours to go here.
But yeah, Happy New Year :)

Michael said...

Hippie: Hope you enjoy your countdown! :)

Anonymous said...

Ni hao Michael, sun leen figh lok!

AV
http://netherregionoftheearthii.blogspot.com/
http://tomusarcanum.blogspot.com/
http://thingsthatfizz.blogspot.com/

Linda S. Socha said...

Your mother was far thinking and looking out for you it seems. What a beautiful photo! Where ever did you find it or did you take it. I love it. Happy New Year Michael
Linda

Michael said...

AV: 'Ni hao' is Mandarin. 'sun leen figh lok' is Cantonese. I will need to do a post on this difference one time.

Linda: I Googled it. :)