Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My daily occurrences, my weekly thoughts, my monthly plans and my yearly reflections. Writing about life is easy. Living through it certainly is not.

Background
My name is Michael Rivera and I am a Filipino-Chinese, 18-year-old student living in Canterbury, but originally from Hong Kong. My parents divorced when I was two, and when I grew up, there were two sides of me: the wild, outdoorsy, gutsy side, and the conservative, intellectual, scholarly side. I spent two years living beside a beach in the countryside. It was then that I learned how to swim, how to fish and how to ride a bike. I love the outdoors, especially when having barbecues and hiking. Outside of that time, my more studious side of me reads, writes, and has a great interest in a broad range of subjects including: television and film, travel, anthropology, human cultures, linguistics, food and drink, psychology, philosophy, literature, forensics, Greco-Roman mythology, European history and politics, South American culture and geology. My deepest love goes to, well, my best friend. But the love that exists just a tiny fraction below that amount of love goes to television series, beautiful beaches, lime margaritas, and books considered classics.
Feel free to e-mail me if you have anything you want to share, suggest, criticize, inquire or comment on! :D
E-mail: scylla.michael.charybdis@gmail.com
Click here to get your own GeoGlobe!
3 comments:
You are assuming these were actors and did not believe the things that they stated. Why is that? Are minds only open to that with which they agree? Or are there truly two (or more) sides to any issue? I think the problem is that marriage has become something sanctioned by the state. Marriage is a religious matter, not a secular one. All marriages should be viewed as civil partnerships by the state, a matter of property rights. Allow the religious institutions to determine the validity of spiritual unions. I see no reason for the state not to enforce property rights of any couple. Nor do I understand why someone committed to another cannot be easily granted the same rights as a spouse in terms of inheritance, medical decisions, and so forth. No ceremony, no religious rite, should be needed so far as the state is concerned. Take the word "marriage" out of the equation and there is no problem.
While I think this commercial was slightly ridiculous, I hate t say that I'm against Gay Marriage as well. Not the actual union between a man and another man; I could care less. But the fact that people advocating for this union are hell-bent on naming it after a religious practice. I know that's bad in some people's eyes but to me, if that's their thing, don't take it away from them.
I'm not at all religious. At all. But for someone to sit there and say "treat me equally. Treat me as you would everyone," that's fine, that makes sense. But when they cross the line to "treat me as I think you should treat me even though it goes against your whole belief system and how the world works for you" is not okay.
I think homosexuals should have unions but call it something else in legal terms. It is up to the churches of whether they want to change their definition of marriage - not the nonreligious public.
But that's just my opinion.
I agree with you Michael, screw the national organization for marriage. If someone feels they want this in the eyes of god or whatever they believe in then so be it. Personally I am not religious but it seems unfair to deny people marriage because they feel its wrong...and how can they claim this in the name of love, nobody has rights to that word.
Post a Comment