Sunday, January 10, 2010

115 - What is the point of a relationship?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.


Why do people bother with the expensive phone bills, sharing the popcorn, and the highly stressful situations like introducing your partner to your family?

A few people I've asked this question to told me that the whole dating scene is a quest for stability. They want the undivided attention and commitment, and they want to feel the longevity of a mutual loyalty towards one another. But I still find myself asking why? Why not be loyal to a friend, instead? What is it about a wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend that is different from, say, your best and oldest friends? Are they not as loyal?

To which the people I asked replied by stating that with your friends, they come and go. Whereas with a partner, you will never feel alone and you always know that they're there for you. You're not meant to be that codependent with friends, who have their own lives to lead. I mean, we imagine ourselves spending the later parts of our life with a wife and kids - not a group of five same-sex chums, right? So, I ask them, what about your relatives? Aren't your parents and siblings just as 'constant' as a partner is? Your family are also always there for you. So what makes a wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend any different from, say, your sister, your uncle, or your mother?

Someone answered me by saying that they want to feel be proud of 'working on a relationship'. Establishing a relationship with someone means that you both make suggestions, criticisms, sacrifices, and changes in personality and lifestyle, so as to create something impressive to others, and impressive to ourselves - confirmation of the fact that you can do something in this world, live in a house together and have children, contribute to the national consumerism in your purchases, to the real estate and education industries - while continually helping someone in particular better their life and, in turn, have your own life changed for the better by them. A very good argument, I must say, but I must ask, is that not what we do at school and at work? When we work on individual projects, we make suggestions and criticisms to steer a project in the right direction, we work just as hard, to improve business, and to give back to society. A lot of people can say they love their job. A lot of people can say they feel important in the line of work they do. Just like in a relationship. So what makes a wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend different from your co-worker or your company then?

One of my friends responded by saying that they want erraticity. They want to feel that thrill of a roller-coaster-like experience when dating another person. They want to fall for someone, and they want to 'feel', mutually, 'in love', to feel that rush, that sense of having no boundaries. Sometimes it's not about commitment and stability, it's about surprises, a pair of earrings on the pillow, an unexpected candlelight dinner at home, a new car parked outside with a bow tied on top of it.

I'll admit it - my best friend and my mother would never surprise me with a car, but a future wife might. I cannot think of a logical explanation for why this 'rush' is not really why we go into relationships, other than pointing out the reality that predictability often trumps unpredictability in this world. Those tacky surprises are only seen in romantic comedies and sitcoms and unrealistic. A majority of couples that exist around us are definitely not that exciting - teenage couples just go to the movies and fuck, middle-aged couples just have dinner dates and then they might fuck afterward, and the elderly, well, they just... read the newspaper.

Sure, she may be cute, but why not just get a dog?

He certainly is very, very smart, but why aren't you making a move on your professor?

She 'gets' you, you say? Get a shrink, who can psychoanalyze and understand you better than any girl will.

Yeah, yeah, he's really funny indeed - but, are you saying I'm not funny?

These reasons are superficial, all of the ones I've listed so far. Love is something felt, and not thought about. It's hard to explain why people bother with relationships.

One of my friends suggested that it was animal instinct, an uncontrollable compulsion that ultimately is meant to provide you with a mate with whom you can reproduce and propagate your genes with. Can you imagine using that as your answer when people ask you what makes your partner so great?



"Why do you love me so, honey?"
"Because I want my genetic material to be passed down to the next generation."

6 comments:

Ahahgshene said...

wow... i really enjoyed reading this entry. i questioned myself with that too. i mean... why do people get in relationships. i mean, im in one right now and all i can tell you is that he makes me feel wonderful. and i love that feeling :]

but the thing is... it's something that i can't explain at the same time.

it's confuses me sometimes.

anyway, it's hard to explain huh? i wish there was an answer. like a solid answer but i guess we will never know.

also,
i know this is a bit too much to
ask for, but i recently changed my
url from abbyquijano.com to
abbyintrouble.blogspot.com and i was
wondering if you can give me a favor
and stop following and then follow
again with that url. it's one of the
reasons why you're not getting any
updates from me anymore.

thank you so much :]

loves, abby

Douglas said...

The nature of our species is to feel incomplete. It may be the conditioning of the societies we have created over the eons or it may have something to do with a survival instinct (passing those genes along). Or it may be that we are simply wired to be insecure, to feel we are not complete unless we can feel that ultimate connection to another. Desmond Morris spoke of "pair bonding" in The Naked Ape but he didn't explain its cause, just that it existed. It is not unique to the human animal but it is a very strong force, a fundamental part of our make-up.

Anonymous said...

as always, you leave me amused.

i asked my first and last boyfriend the very same question, and alluded to the fact that the only thing that set us apart from being friends was the poon involved (though there was never any). aha needless to say he got very defensive and hurt... but i was just saying it like it is- there's nothing embarrassing about being sexually attracted to someone. good friend + sexual attraction = couple compatibility

anywhoo~ as i see you as a good blogger friend, you may be one of the first to know that i am planning/am going to sydney this year for uni. kinda freaking out, but you seem to be doing a-ok across the other side of the world! i hope all works out for me as it did for you :D

take care~

rach
x

drienc

J.J. in L.A. said...

You've obviously never been in love. It's not something you can rationalize. It's about chemistry/companionship/sex/love.

You can't get the whole package from friends, family or pets.

Adorabibble said...

genetic material...
since I am barren, and my other half is almost 55, the notion that we are together for baby sake is preposterous.

now don't get me wrong some do for baby sake... and some just do, and have babies.
I know a 21 yo crack head that is currently in jail on drug charges,(she is my next door neighbour's ex)
she said that having 5 children makes her a woman...
*sigh*
what she doesn't tell you is she has no custody of any of them, not now or ever.
*SIGH*
I have no family that I talk to.
my other half is the black sheep in his.
I have been with him 5 years and never met any of his family and they are less than 50 miles away. he's seen them.
*whatever*
bottom line he is my best friend, I don't always like him, I do love him.
it isn't easy, it isn't supposed to be. that is why it is love.
hopefully my next one (when this one dies) will be much younger and have family that by association will also be mine.

Randa said...

Oh, Michael. I could have a FIELD day with you on this subject! Seriously, this is what I'm majoring in, this is what my academic life is basically about.

It's really interesting.

Why do people get into romantic relationships?

Honestly, the answer is pretty simple - sex. Not the way you might think but most people get into romantic relationships for the sex. Back in the Victorian ages, men and women were separated - aside from marriage, they were not really allowed to interact so what happened? Women started having very passionate relationships with other women [purely platonic]. They field the emotional void that their husbands couldn't fulfill and so they would rely on their "girlfriends," though sex was still available through the husbands.

As the Western World has become more liberal with sex, romance relationships have become more than just "I need an opposite gender sex organ so that I may procreate because that's what we do [though celibacy was more highly regarded for centuries even though sex was needed]." People started dating to have a shot of happiness. To have someone that is there to support you and that you are to support, too. Relationships become more "intimate" in the sense that your husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend was now more like your best friend.

Only you could have sex with them.

Humans are social creatures, something that most scientist say is an evolutionary trait since, thousands of years ago, if you weren't in a pack, you were virtually dead. The need for a boyfriend or girlfriend may actually be evolutionary, too, but I'm not going into that.

Basically . . . a mate is like a best friend but with mucho benefits. They're like the platinum card of the friendship world.

. . .

I really didn't mean to write that much but it's just so FASCINATING! While you're in college [and if you have the room], I would totally suggest taking a course on relationships or family systems, etc. It's just . . . I don't know. One of the best classes I've ever taken, no joke.