Saturday, December 20, 2008

22 - I fell to my death again.

I've been having a recurring dream for about three years running now. The exact details of the dream always change but the thing that never changes is: I die.

In my dreams, I get my head chopped off, I dehydrate in a desert,
I drown, I burn, I fall off buildings, bridges and cliffs, I get struck by lightning, I starve on an isolated island, I get a plastic bag thrown over my head and asphyxiated, I get consumed by thousands of scarabs, I'm predated by wild African animals, I get run over by a train, I sit in a car that explodes or a plane that crashes, I'm in hospital and my heart rate monitor just beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeps.

If that's not enough, in my dreams, I've fallen into a deep hole in the floor, I've been eaten by water snakes while I was swimming in a pool, I've died in the electric chair, I'm unconscious but the pathologist opens up my chest cavity.

I get shot, I get stabbed, I get hung, I get beaten up, I fall off a roller coaster, I get a heart attack, I get hit on the back of the head, I get surgery but the doctor's scalpel slips and pierces my beating heart (probably the most graphic one)... aaaaaand I think that's all of them.

Last night, I fell to my death again. The setting was so eerie that normally it would've been scary. I was sitting in a dark room and I was seated a table. I was being interrogated by a faceless man on the opposite side. I ran out of the dark room when the interrogator was distracted, only to escape into a darker, smoky corridor. I run. And reach the top of a staircase. The person interrogating me was chasing me and instead of choosing to run down many, many stairs, I must have figured that it wasn't worth giving up whatever information I had to that guy, even if it cost me my life. So, I grabbed the handrail of the stairs and jumped over the side to fall to my death again.

In all of these death dreams, I see myself in the third-person. I always wake up before I hit the ground, right when the bullet is fired, the moment I breathe in my last breath. I never see the end of it. I get these dreams so often that it's all I remember dreaming about. They're not even nightmares to me, just dreams. I'm too used to them.

According to dream interpretations, dreaming of death symbolizes that I am ready to change, to have my old lifestyle, environment or personality 'die' so I can be 'reborn' to form a new one. I dream of death so often because I always want a change. It's change I can't get right now. I haven't been able to get it for three years.

That will change soon, though. I can already feel it. The day that happens will be a good day.

9 comments:

Gerry Hatrić said...

Now that's some serious dreaming! I hardly ever dream (or remember that I dreamed).

I'm not sure about dream interpretation - some of it is a bit far out. My wife used to tell me that if she dreamed of a wedding that someone in her family would die - seems nonsense to me.

Richard said...

I would try shutting off the television and stop playing video games.

Michael said...

Mulled Vine: Depends on the logic behind it, but most of the time, I agree that dream interpretation is quite absurd. It's a shame, though, that you can't remember your dreams. I used to get real colorful and pleasant ones before these dreams occurred.

Richard: I don't play video games. And television educates me a lor more than it infiltrates my mind with rotten images. Thank you for coming by, though...

Douglas said...

I had a friend in my teens (call him "Gary" because that's his name) who had a recurring dream of falling. The only really odd thing about it is that, he claimed, he would hit the ground and lay there laughing until he woke up.

I think that would unnerve me a bit.

Michael said...

Douglas: Depends on how often and for how long Gary had those dreams. Really, people get used to these sorts of dreams.

Falling... Will have to look that one up in a dream dictionary...

Linda S. Socha said...

I like your blog . I am new here and I like the way you write. I emjoy dream intrepretation and exploration. I believe it is attempt at self understanding. What are your thoughts. I had recurring dreams for ...literally years....until I passes through the point of my life of claiming my personal...power...
When you are out and about I would like to invite you to visit. Please consider connecting with my blog as a follower and I would like to do the same with yours.
Hope to see you there
Linda

Michael said...

Linda: I will stop by soon.

gaf85 said...

M, first time visitor to your blog. You definitely have some interesting things to say. I view dreams as an opportunity for the mind to exercise the unconscious as if we are walking around with a pebble in our shoe and we must stop and take our shoe off to shake out the pebble.

Logan said...

Yeah, you hit the mark with your comment about my angels dream, which are also recurring, by the way. Change is definitely in the wind...