Thursday, January 1, 2009

30 - It all ends here and now.

I'm back from my vacation in China and I've done the whole countdown thing. It's twelve hours into 2009 and it doesn't feel much different.

I was going to write a post yesterday night in the early hours of New Year's Day. I was inebriated from the party. I know my thoughts are clearer when I'm drunk. When I say this, I mean my inner feelings, and what I want deep inside seems more evident when I've had some alcohol. Whether I would have been able to describe those inner emotions in words is another matter, but nonetheless, yesterday night, in my head, everything was so clear, everything filed in neat compartments in my mind. That's the kind of thing I see when I'm drunk. I see everything organized, structured and less confused. I hate messes. I hate eating spaghetti for this reason. I like lasagna. The layers. The procedure in making it is so methodical. And now I'm hungry.

But before I digress any further, or go out for lunch, I want to write about last night.

New Year's Eve is interesting, to say the least. Everything's awkward at first as people arrive, as people scan the room quickly to see who made it, as people greet each other politely and observe how formal everyone else has dressed. People stare at the stranger friend if there is one. People inquire about the liquor available for the rest of the evening. They laugh if the class clown makes a joke - whether it's funny or otherwise. They ask each other how their Christmas went. They want to watch a movie, they want to play the Wii, they want to listen to music, anything to escape the first few minutes where everything is awkward, where everything isn't celebratory yet. But one thing is for sure, we know we are all meant to be happy. It isn't the time to be angry or miserable because it's New Year's Eve, goddamnit! We want to meet 2009 with smiles on our faces, with laughter in the air, with warmth kindled by each of our friendships and our collective class spirit.

Although it's awkward at first, we then all sort of melt into it. The caps come off the drinks, the movie's on and people no longer talk about how their Christmas went because that's in the past. 2009 is approaching and so we talk about the future. Our new year resolutions and where we all plan to go for university.

On New Year's Eve, everything is in this weird transitory Limbo where the present time doesn't really matter. We only concern ourselves with the 365 days we call "two-oh-oh-eight" and the 365 days we call "two-oh-oh-nine". We don't care about the 'now' on New Year's Eve. That's why we drink. That's why we smoke. That's why a guy would wear a girl's jacket, and why a girl can wear two-inch heels. That's why we scream off rooftops. That's why we hug whoever is there, or accept a hug from whoever offers it. That's why the dancers stretch their muscles in their tight jeans. That's why the guys give each other piggyback rides. That's why we all make stupid faces in photos. That's why we just don't care. We don't care that we're alone, angry, let down, rejected, out of place, insignificant or heartbroken because it's the New Year, damn it. Nothing matters because it's time for a change. Because we all have had our setbacks, our pitfalls, our mistakes, our tears and our troubles in 2008. It all changes after we count down to zero. It all ends here and now.

But then comes the real test. After the countdown. What do you do? Be sad that it's over? Be thoughtful and apathetic? Be happy and hopeful? Because that's what we all have to face. You can be the guy who leaves the party with a frown. You see everything wrong with your life on a dirty platter in front of you and you sigh, you cry and you feel the same as you did the miserable night before. You can also be the guy that leaves the party with your composure, a neutral view toward the party and a lot of thought. Emotions aren't there, it's just reason. You just like to reflect. If those two aren't for you, you can be the guy that leaves joyous with faith, who looks at the new year as a golden opportunity where dreams and goals can be achieved, where love can be felt and bliss can surround you.

Who do I want to be this year, or on New Year's Day? That's what you have to ask yourself after the countdown.

For me, it was strange. At first, I was sad that it was over. Then I was thoughtful and apathetic. I went to bed and woke up happy and hopeful.
I feel like Dante in The Divine Comedy, going from Hell, through Purgatory and on to Heaven. I confess: I did leave the party crying. I missed the friends that weren't there, and when I left, it hurt to leave the friends that were there. But I left because it hurt to remain there as well. It hurt because I felt alone, even in a crowd. I felt out of place, like I should have been somewhere else. Like nobody wanted me there.

I left the party crying. So what? I called a friend. She brought me to Purgatory, where sadness slowly turned to a hopeful outlook on things. It allowed me to wake up feeling like this. Not happy necessarily, but content, restive and peaceful. Things have changed and I won't live like I did last year. That all ends here and now.
(It's cool that I get to say 'last year' for the first time.)

I have been saying that for two weeks now. It all ends here and now. What exactly does that mean?

Well, I've made my resolutions, and I'm going to try my best to stick to them. 2008 was tiring.

Very tiring. And I think my resolutions will allow me to get some rest.

You see, people have told me that I am too negative, pessimistic, cynical and/or misanthropic and this has led to my exhaustion. I have to disagree. As I said in my introduction on Do you hate it too?, I like to think of myself as critical and observant. That is all.

Because I can also see beauty. I can experience joy, especially with the people I love. But I'm sorry, I like to fix things. I like to solve problems and only by identifying the flaws around me, I can then find answers to difficult questions. I will always be critical of others, judgmental and a keen observer. That will never change. But it was putting my emotions into my criticism that drove me to exhaustion. Not just negative emotions, but positive ones as well have led to my downfall. Seeing too much beauty in other people made me lust, yearn and care for people 'til my time and energy was wasted, until other people got sick of it. And seeing too many flaws in other people made me unappreciative, selfish, mean and disdainful. Controlling these emotions and my own personality is something I need to learn to make myself a better life.

I've been through Hell. Now, I'll keep on going. It's the foundation of this blog. It's my philosophy (and Winston Churchill's, of course). I want to live happier. I'll readjust myself to make that happen. Hell (Hell, I tell you!) ends here and ends now!

10 comments:

Toivoa ja Elämän said...

awww I loved this post. I love how you end it with hope. You'd know I'm all into hope ;P
It wasn't just being content with the way things are, but determining to make a change to improve things. I love that, that things can better, no matter how good they are.
Gotta love the wonders of being drunk... =/
lol I'm sure I'll blog about my drunken experiences some day in the near future.
The feeling of being lonely in a crowd, especially a crowd of people you love and who love you, is one of the most... disconcerting and terrifying feelings. Because if you feel alone even in that situation, how can you ever escape loneliness..?
I'm glad your friend helped (:
More to say, as always, but I'll comment again, it's late here. Or rather, early.
to 2009 and the refreshing, hopeful newness it brings (:x

Douglas said...

Yeah, what Toivoa said...

I could never write anything in the morning of New Year's Day when I was young, too busy trying to shake off the hangover, the mind too blurred from the excess alcohol. Good job.

I like the new picture too.

Michael said...

Larissa: You have to love hope, and for me, I love getting drunk. Hahaha. I look forward to your 'more to say'.

Douglas: I was hungover when I wrote it. Although, I sort of go into 'drift mode'. I don't know how to explain what that means right now, but I will in a post one time after more thought.

Thanks. The picture, according to my friend, is 'actually ridiculous'. That means it's funny, apparently.

Linda S. Socha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

ahh very nice post. your party reminds me of when I used to go out back home. always great.
i think 2009 is going to be a good year for you so grab it by the b*lls. you seem like a pretty smart guy for your age (not patronizing you here or anything) and you've got your feet firmly on the ground. Good for you. And hope you get to go to UCL or whatever uni you're trying to get into! :)

My new years was cold here in UK. Keeps getting colder, how I hate it. Am snivellly again. Had dinner iwth my sister then went to some sort of party gathering at a pub in north London where a friend was djing. Surrounded by drunken people someone pushed me and I spilt my drink all over myself. Me NO LIKEY. But all in all it was nice enough. New year new me :)

Michael said...

Linda: I'm a little concerned that you removed it. I take it that you don't want details to be revealed so I will respect that. I thank you for your comment.

Vivienne: I like observing parties. People behave ever-so-interestingly. I also applied to Kent and Sussex by the way. They are both nearish to London and I think Sussex is the safe one that I almost definitely will get in to.

I heard from my friend living in Horsham that all England had to offer was overpriced drinks and bitterly cold weather. Hahaha.

Sorry, that's not funny. I am not snivelly. It is much warmer in Hong Kong (although it is supposedly cold) than China is. You could say I'm real 'chilled' about the cold right now.

Pub sounds fun. I love dancing to a DJ I know personally. It's very um... merriment-inducing.

Linda S. Socha said...

Michael.

Sorry ! I am having trouble with the keyboard and the computer today for whatever reason. I hope this post works.If it actually posts twice or three times, please just delete the extra ones!

I like your self evaluation. I will not name it good or bad but from here it appears astute and progressive in intent.

I find I have periods of moving into a bit of a hyper critical mode either of myself or of others. When I do that I look for reality checks like carefully reading and evaluating responses and comments from others....If I find myself reactive or defensive. I read them again until I am not.

I look forward to those moves in the direction of happiness and the actions YOU want and need..
Linda

Anonymous said...

happy new year Michael! I hope you enjoyed your party with your friends :) I know it is kind of sad when you have to leave a year full of memories behind, especially the good ones. we just have to stay hopeful that 2009 will be everything we want and more. as much as I'm going to miss 2008, I'm also excited to see what this year has in store for me. hopefully success for both of us, haha.

Erin said...

Happy New Year. I enjoyed this post...I'm looking forward to hearing more about your journey this year!

Everyday Housewife said...

Happy New Year, Michael, and live happier this year!