Tuesday, November 10, 2009

99 - On a 'Do you hate it too?' book.

If you have read my last entry on Do you hate it too?, you will know that my blog has been well-praised. This got my mother very excited, and she pushed an idea forward for me to consider: publishing a Do you hate it too? book.

When I first began doing this about a year ago, I had already begun to think about compiling them all up one day and putting them in a publication. 'Why I didn't do it earlier' is a question I often answered with weak claims that I'm too lazy, can't be bothered, or haven't got the time for, but to be entirely truthful, it's because I don't think it's good enough. I still feel like it really is just me giving a childish rant everyday, and honestly, what contribution to the world do I give, by exerting negativity within the blogosphere?

I know I make people laugh, but in the end, I cannot collaborate with, let's say, an anger management-orientated business, seeing as I don't offer tips on how to deal with the hates I write about. I don't give advice on how to use the English language, or how to deal with stress, or how to focus on thinking positively - even though that's what you would associate with my blog, if it were just a little bit different.

But it is the way that it is, and being an active consumer of the book-selling market myself, I know that this would merely sell as one of those silly books uncles buy for their nieces, and mothers would refuse to spend money on for their children. 'How about this novel on vampires, sweetie', 'Check out this book about dinosaurs' and 'Trevor, come see if you'd like this one full of brain teasers' they would chime. The blatent truth is, I believe Do you hate it too? is silly.

I need people who can change my mind about this, so if you have any words of encouragement, please share them with me, because I'm in a place with no self-confidence right now. I would love to begin this whole adventure right now, to find a distributor, to format a book, to sell it online, and to watch it sell on shelves in Hong Kong, Canada, the US and the UK. I probably would anyway to my mother's insistence, even if I still don't believe in the book.

But I know that if I don't believe in my own work, it won't be a success.

Sigh. What do you think? Any words of advice?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why do you want to create a book? Money? Fame? For yourself, your mother, your fans? Unless it is for your audience and yourself I don't think you should do it. Money should never be the reason, corny as it sounds. Pressure...well, that is something everyone faces.
If you want to publish a book, I'd publish one on anthropology, or something you are interested in more than "one of those silly books uncles buy for their nieces".

It is really down to you.

Elizabeth said...

I have also been sitting here reading this and I have nothing to say.
D:<
But I think you should go for it if you want to, not because you mom's insistence. Life is about taking risks, but... SJDLFJSLDFJ
I have no idea what I'm talking about. I'll just stop here.

Your cold friend in California,
Elizabeth

Jubilex said...

People need something to laugh about. That's one of the things that I love about 'Do you hate it too?' It also gives me a way to vent my anger via association. I sit there and think, "yeah, that does bug me too," and it helps, in its own way.

It's your choice in the end. Think about the purpose of your blog. Think about why you make your posts so interesting to read rather than vent like most people would. You entertain your audience as much as find an outlet for your frustration. Shouldn't a book (if you choose to make one) reflect a similar purpose as your blog, just to a wider audience? And do you think that is a good enough reason to publish a book?

I don't know.
I hope that makes sense. Goodluck with whatever you choose to do.

Ahahgshene said...

if that's what you really want then go for it! it doesn't really matter what other people say ! ^_^

Anonymous said...

There is a famous writer here in the Philippines whose career started because of his blog being loved by many, just like yours. He found it silly too, when he was adviced to write a book. HIS BLOG is about the things HE HATE ABOUT FILIPINOS, "bobong pinoy", in English, stupid Filipino.

in the end he wrote a book. it is quite an achievement because here in the Philippines, it is rare to find a local author being loved by the readers, especially: teenagers.

who knows same thing will happen to you? after all, you're one hell of a writer.

missykimmy said...

I don't know what to say about that. But I agree with Jacynta (again.), people need something to laugh about and your Do you hate it too? book could be one of those books that people buy to cheer themselves up - no matter how much negativity is in there, the humour outweighs it (in my opinion - possibly in many other's opinion as well).

Plus, everything you write about it mostly true for everyone, so your book could be a book every one can relate to. That's a good thing, I think, right?

Anyway, I'm not sure I made sense either. You should be 100% sure of yourself before publishing your book. It really is down to you, like Liz said. (:

missykimmy.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

why don't you try putting this blog together into a word document and send it to some publishing companies? They will be able to tell you if there is potential in it and lead you in the right way. That's what one of my friends did.

PS - how's uni treating you and are you enjoying Kent?

Michael said...

Liz: I was so... disgusted at even hearing the question, "Are you doing this for the money or fame?" Because no way in Hell am I doing it for that. I genuinely enjoy writing it, and I think people can tell that, otherwise they wouldn't even bother. Who wants to read an attention-seeking rambler? (Oh, and I will work very hard on the anthropology thing. I am years and years away from actually publishing any book on the subject.)

Elizabeth: I think I need to make my mother understand why I want to do this, and ask her to explain clearly why she is willing to support me in it. The heavy load of tuition fees is likely a significant factor.

Jacynta: I found your comment to be so rational and mature compared to what I had said to you, so thank you for that - it brought me back to Earth. I think I've found my reasons to start working on a book, as you can check out on my latest post.

Abby: Well, I don't want to waste my time and money either. -.- But I'm pretty confident in this, and I'll work hard to make sure something good comes out of this experience.

hrix: I've heard of him, my best friend also told me about him. Thanks for your words of encouragement. :)

Kimmy: I hope it all plays out well in the end. It's quite a scary idea to carry out. :\

Vivienne: I think we're going to give it to a publisher in mind first, and I guess I'll find out if my book has potential then. If I get rejected many, many times, then I suppose then, I'll get my answer.