Saturday, November 7, 2009

97 - On insomnia.

I have an aversion to sleep - although, nowadays, I often pass out on my bed anyway - something I didn't do before. Back in my heyday, around four, five, six years ago, I would go on living with around only five hours of sleep per week. I loved to stay up late, I felt so great having so much time to play pointless online games (after completing all of my homework, of course), and read stuff online.

Now, I feel like my quota for time spent awake is finally running low. I can't help but to fall asleep, sometimes at the most obscure and inconvenient times - right before a lecture, right before a party, right before the sun comes up, right before lunchtime. I'm trying to stay awake, and when my mind can't take it any longer, it compels me to draw the curtains shut, turn the lights off, and simply catch some desperately needed rest, whether or not I have somewhere to be in a few hours, regardless of whether or not I believe I'm going to be able to get up later or not. My case is serious, because I will really throw away all of my obligations and responsibilities—my classes, my family time, my job—just to stay in bed another five minutes longer, ten minutes longer, oops, what time is it?... eight hours have gone by?... I'm screwed, might as well go back to sleep... ZZZzzzzzz.........


Honestly, I have Googled ways to increase insomnic ability. It's a little bit sad, and that's right, I call it an ability. Because if I could just push through another few hours without rest each day, I would be able to do so much more. The pile of things I wish I could tend to gets taller and taller everyday, and at an exponential rate. I've been warned before, about how it's bad for my skin, and bad for my eyes, and bad for my brain to stay awake over overly long hours of the day, but I don't care. I want to sleep less. It's only because I used to be the best at it back in the day that makes me stubborn, and in denial of the fact that I'm not the young man I was a few years ago, capable of doing things that my now tired body cannot.

Sigh.

6 comments:

Jubilex said...

I go through stages of insomnia (it lasts for days and then goes away for a while) and my body/mind does not handle it well. I'm one of those people that needs to sleep reasonably well. I can live off of 7 hours a night, but much less and I'm a walking zombie. When I go through my stages of insomnia I can't even get to sleep before 3 or 4 and I generally don't sleep through, for whatever amount time it is that I have to sleep. These days were a pain when school existed.
I'm sure if I could put my insomnia to use then I wouldn't mind it so much, but I can never be sure what days I'll be affected, nor how long it will last (as it is so varied), so I prefer to waste the time that I spend trying to sleep, rather than miss an hour of sleep that I might be able to get.

missykimmy said...

I dislike going to bed early and I hate waking up late. So I always end up with less than 5 hours of sleep per day - which is much better than what you used to have some years ago. I stay awake until 3 a.m. just to watch movies and tv shows, instead of doing what I should be doing: homework. I wish I slept more but I hate sleeping, so...

I think you're getting lazy, haha; not tired, or old like you say. ^_^ Hopefully you'll get your insomnic ability back soon.

missykimmy.blogspot.com

Madame DeFarge said...

If you ignore the slight fact that you are still a young man by comparison to many of us. I relish sleep as I tend to sleep badly.

BrightenedBoy said...

I think it's funny how you talk about your body starting to tire when you're only 18. Increased sleep is a characteristic of adolescence and completely normal. It's something people in our age group love to do.

I would suggest adopting a pattern; go to bed at the same time every night so you can have a reasonable expectation of when you'll wake up every morning.

Michael said...

Jacynta: Makes sense. I just get annoyed at myself for sleeping 'cause when I do, I am an unarousable corpse.

Kimmy: I knew it. I knew it was laziness.

Madame DeFarge: Hm, true.

BrightenedBoy: It's funny, isn't it? I'm weird like that.

Lynn said...

I know it is normal to sleep more, but i actually find myself falling asleep in the early hours of the morning, and waking up hours later. It's not like I'm doing anything resourceful, I just lay down in bed and tell my brain to shut up. Let me tell you, it will not shut up!!